Windows NT User Accounts
Users can be created on the PDC, BDC or other computer. Then the user accounts database must be synchronized between the PDC and the BDCs to make the change effective on the entire domain. The PDC is synchronized with its BDCs by using the "Server Manager" tool. The user accounts are created using the User Manager for Domains utility program. The person creating the accounts must be logged in as a member of the DOMAIN ADMINS or ACCOUNT OPERATORS group.
User accounts can be renamed. To change user characteristics, from User Manager for Domains click on the user, then select the menu item "user", and change.
User Manager for Domains Buttons in User Dialog Box
- Groups - Where group memberships are assigned to users
- Profile - User profile information. Includes:
- Hours - Set available user login hours.
- Logon To - The computers the user may logon to the domain from.
- Account - Account expiration date (Never or End of entered date) and type of account (global or local). The default type is global.
- Dialin - Sets up dial in access permission for this computer along with callback options with one of the following:
- No call back
- Call back number set by caller
- Preset callback number
Copied User Properties
Then a template user account is made and copied to create a new account, the following fields are carried over to the new account.
- Group Account Memberships
- Profile Settings
- User must change password at next logon
- User cannot change password - Checkbox
- Password never expires - Checkbox
Fields that are not Copied
- Full name
- Account Disabled
Placing a # sign in front of the user template will cause it to be placed at the top of the user list for easy access.
Creating Users on a large network
The command line utility "NET USER" can be used from a batch file to create users.
Deleting or disabling accounts
Accounts should only be deleted when you sure they will never be used again. When an employee of a set position leaves their account may be disabled and renamed with a new password and reactivated when their replacement is hired. The ADMINISTRATOR and GUEST account cannot be deleted but may be renamed. The GUEST account may be disabled.
Modifying User Properties
This can be done from "User Manager for Domains" either by double clicking the user or select "properties" from the "User" menu. This opens the user properties dialog box. To add a user to the group, select the "group" box, select the group and click the "Add" button.