Windows SQL Server Terms
- AWE - Address Windowing Extensions is used to support large address spaces in a SQL server.
- Connection pooling - Client requests to a server are pooled and queued into request for resources from a server. This is typically done by an application server which is making requests for information from a database server on behalf of clients.
- OLTP - Online Transaction Processing
- RDBMS - Relational Database Management System supports organization of data by allowing it to be grouped into tables and relationships between the tables to be defined.
- Thick client - The client computer runs both the code that presents the information to the user, along with the application that gets the information and processes it for the user.
- Thin client - The client runs only the code that presents information to the user. An application server is normally used to process and/or retrieve information.